By Mike Kelly, CEO of On Call International.
Spring break is here, and, although a student’s personal spring break trip isn’t typically associated with or sponsored by the college or university, it is in the institution’s best interest from a duty of care standpoint to share health and safety tips before students depart. In addition to the typical tropical vacations, spring break is also a time when some college and university programs offer a sponsored travel abroad trip.
By Carol Munn, CRM, C.P.M., Director of Procurement & Risk Management at Alvernia University and Glenn Klinksiek, Knowledge Center Content Manager at URMIA.
URMIA surveyed its members in February 2015 to find out what the current practices are for tracking training and background checks in higher education. Tracking the ever increasing number of mandatory trainings and background checks for compliance has become arduous. How can you demonstrate that everyone has had the training required by law or institutional policy? The goal of this survey was to learn how colleges and universities manage tracking compliance requirements, who does the tracking, and what they track.
From the 76 survey responses, the key findings of the survey are:
By Blake Lovvorn, Insurance Coordinator for University of Central Florida and URMIA member.
This month's Government and Regulatory Affairs (GRA) Blast focuses on the US SAFE WEB Act of 2006 and how it might impact your institution. For a downloadable, printable copy of this GRA Blast to share, click here. Follow this link for more regulatory resources from URMIA's Government and Regulatory Affairs Committee.
Topic/Title: US SAFE Web Act of 2006
By Tish Gade-Jones, CPA, Director of Risk Management at the University of Nebraska System and board liaison for the URMIA Finance Committee.
This month’s Board Corner Report highlights URMIA’s Finance Committee.
As a fairly new member of the committee and URMIA’s current treasurer, I have found being a part of this committee has given me a greater understanding of the overall operations and financial background of the organization. I have been in higher education for six years with part of that time in internal audit. The depth of knowledge and expertise of the members on the Finance Committee is a huge asset to someone who is just getting their feet wet in risk management.
Each year, URMIA hosts in-person regional and annual (national) conferences around the country as well as online webinars designed to minimize your cost and time away from the office while maximizing your educational and networking opportunities. Read on to learn about the next "Developing Your International Risk Management Action Plan" workshop, ISO 31000 training from URMIA and PRIMA, and sponsoring or contributing to URMIA's premier risk management compendium, the URMIA Journal.
Each month, this article provides some of the latest risk management resources, as well as a calendar of upcoming events, webinars, conferences, and other learning opportunities in which you or your campus colleagues may be interested.
Risk Management Resources
- 2013 URMIA Salary Survey Report, Colquitt, L. Lee, Eick, Christine, and Sommer, David W. This report was produced by URMIA members Lee Colquitt and Christine Eick of Auburn University, and David W. Sommer of St. Mary's University.
- Discussion of Higher Ed Drone Policies, URMIA. Discussion of drone regulations and operation guidelines. Submit your guides, checklists, and fact sheets to email@example.com.
- ARM study course from Google's Erike Young. Available to URMIA members AT NO COST! Contact Erike for more information, and be sure to mention your URMIA membership.
- International Resource Center, National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO). Visit the IRC for the latest international travel news and an extensive list of international risk resources.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA). Check out the latest compliance and governmental affairs resources from NACUA and their partners.
Help us welcome our newest members, and see what professional updates your colleagues have to share from the last month.